Sunday, October 11, 2009

The Air War







I was thinking this morning that our old mental image, for decades, of the structure of information looked something like the page on the left, and swiftly, it has been converted to the page on the right. Sometimes I think that, somewhere way up above our heads, a serious war is going on for air supremacy.

As a (very unimportant) author, I sometimes geet updates on the Google books settlment, and I tend to pay them very little heed.

I'm also intrigued by the Google blog, where the founders explain themselves so (apparently) reasonably. What purpose does this serve?, I wonder.
Google has, um, complicated relationships with newspapers.
Google also competes with PayPal, and here's sort of an interesting thing (I think). If you type "Google checkout paypal" into, um, Google, mostly what you get are side-by-side comparisons, helping you decide which one you should use. (Which is sort of a funny idea all by itself.)

You get only a smidgen of offerings about why, maybe, you shouldn't use either one.

And I guess I do wonder whether there's as much reportage as there should be about the reach and ambition of some of these new giants.

No comments: