Monday, November 20, 2006

Other cool things you blogged

jim Blogging has interested me for two reasons: it allows access to new, broad, unique sources of information; and it creates a space to explore information and to express my thoughts about the information. I now have two blogs and plan on creating another in a few months. This blog is for class, but it’s also to document my thoughts and feelings. My second blog is to document my class, to connect the text to other ideas, and to explore or express my interpretation of the text. The blogs help my feeder instinct.

jim 2 The article in today’s Courant only reinforces my opinion about him. I can relate to his information driven style and the way he weaves it into a story. The interesting stuff is, many times, in the small details of history. I’m a history buff and always am struck but how such huge events turn on some small detail – a captured missive, animosity between two people, illness, egos. I have to wonder, though, would Chris have been able to achieve his current status without blogging. I would so not. I think he is a creature of this media and his knowledge had given him a unique edge, which, by the way, benefits all of us since we need people like him and his colleagues to open new doors to old rooms.

rene: I obviously have more experience being and information seeker. Becoming a person who spreads information is a little disconcerting for me, since I tend to seek information that interest me and what I would share with others would be totally subjective and biased. Reminds me of something…Blogs.Going forward, I think that I will evolve into an online advocate for a cause. I would like to blog and find sites that are concerned with the public good of society. I surmise that I would be more inclined to spread information about a particular cause/interest if I am passionate about the topic.

scott:
First, on the fact that we refer to them as bloggers - we had a hard time adjusting to their "real" names - this is purely speculative and theoretical, but where DO they exist? For us, at least, their existence was purely as information, as an electronic media. They were not people, but they were their blogs. Look at Alden, for example: With a Longfellow Beard like he had just come out of a solitary time in the woods (or the wilderness of the electronic world), and wearing a shirt on which was stitched the word "Blogger" where a nametag would normally go. When he first visited class, I wasn't there, but I read about how he himself was like a blog...what came first, the blog or the brain?Why were we so freaked out when Jason Scott showed up? Because we, foolishly could not reconcile the hyperreal with the real.Alden, I'm sure you and other people who were in our class will read this - and I don't intend to criticize you or your fellow bloggers, marginalize you, or discredit the things you do do, working for the Dean campaign, or in the case of Spazeboy, following politicians around with cameras and being a full-time student. These are just musings, more about our perceptions of existence, not existence itself.

No comments: