Monday, November 23, 2009

More ...

Kevin on Twitter Apps.
As someone who regularly uses Twitter (yet doesn't actually tweet all that
much), some may find it odd that I rarely, if ever, actually visit Twitter.com.
While I have nothing against Twitter's website per say, I do find that user an
application for my Twitter viewing is much better. I've tried many (and given
them a fair shake) desktop apps ranging from Tweetie to twhirl to Twitterrific to TweetDeck and on the iPhone, I've
tried TweetDeck and TwitterFon.By far, my favorite, on both platforms, is
TweetDeck. The layout is simple and user-friendly. It's a full featured app that
is powerful yet accessible. It's easy to navigate, easy to pick up yet easy to
utilize to its full potential.I do find it interesting that there is such a
proliferation of Twitter Apps readily available for free use. Unlike the other
major social networks, such as Facebook or MySpace, Twitter Apps have thrived to
the point that I'm not sure I know of any of my friends who actually utilize
Twitter by going to the service's actual website. The app experience allows your
feed to be open all the time, running in the background, allowing quick access
for checking Twitter whenever you want without having to visit the site. I guess
I've become the de-facto app guy for the class so it probably doesn't come as a
surprise that I support and use an app for this but in this case, the app
geniunely makes a Twitter experience easier and more effective.

And on differences with FB
Just as a start to my week's posts (I'm a Twitter believer), I think the
easiest way to look at the difference between the Facebook Status Update Feed
vs. Twitter's feed is that Facebook's is designed to keep track of people you
know. The beauty of Twitter lies in it's ability to follow people you don't. As
a result, where Facebook is a way to keep tabs on your friends and their
activities, Twitter is much more a true news feed from around the world. It is
entirely user-generated and operated.Some people were complaining last night
that they didn't have enough people to follow to make Twitter worthwhile. I'm
not sure Twitter is meant to just check in on friends. It is easy, however, for
people you want to hear more from (sports figures/writers, movie/music critics,
industry leaders, stars) to broadcast their thoughts. I don't necessarily "know"
or need to know ESPN's Adam Schefter but I "know" the Twitter Adam Schefter, who
has the best breaking news on the NFL around.

No comments: